Pages

Saturday 15 June 2013

Caramelised walnuts, salad and pizza night

So this is one of my new favourite things, caramelised walnuts. I've seen this recipe all over the net but hadn't tried it. So finding myself with an abundance of walnuts i thought it was the perfect time to give it a go. The idea was to make a healthy, sweet snack to avoid the not so healthy kind but turns out i enjoy these more in a savory salad.

Now these are super easy to make and last well in an airtight jar. I hope you'll try them out.

Caramelised walnuts

2 Cups of walnuts
2 T honey
pinch salt

Firstly toast the walnuts in a frypan for 3-4 minutes until golden. Stirring frequently. Be very careful to watch them, toasted walnuts can turn into burnt walnuts very easily.


Once toasted, add the pinch of salt and the honey and cook for a further 2 minutes on a low heat until caramelised. 


Mine were on the borderline to getting burnt! but luckily i saved them in time.


Turn out onto a non-stick plate or mat to cool. Once cooled eat or store in a airtight container.


I sprinkled these on a green leafy salad with some shaved parmesan and a balsamic dressing. It was so delicious i had two helpings. The walnuts aren't super sweet so they were perfect on a salad. I think they would be yummy with some blue cheese too.


It made for a yummy dinner alongside some hummus pizza and my first movie night with my little man.
'just keep swimming, just keep swimming' - excellent advice from Dory.

Have a great week everyone.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment